blackmold

What is your New Year’s resolution?

I am hearing from many clients that they are going to visit the basement that has been avoided at all cost for a long time.  If you are like some you may have noticed a musty smell that just will not go away.  After you make you way into the basement you not only notice that musty smell but you see some black spots on boxes and on the walls of the basement.

You should proceed with caution and really take the time to evaluate and determine what is going on.  Many ask what I should do now.  From my years of experience I would suggest that you do an assessment to determine what is causing the moisture and humidity.  This may require some recall on your part for example have you had a leaky pipe, heavy rains , are your gutters full of leaves, or windows left open in the  basement.

After you have completed your assessment the next step is to develop a plan of action to safely remove the mold and mildew.  In many cases this is where you consult a professional. This could be an industrial hygienist who can take samples and determine your indoor air quality. They will do an evaluation and take samples of your indoor and outdoor environment. The samples will be sent to a lab to identify if you have toxic mold.  A certified mold remediator may be necessary to remove and restore any area of your home. This will be the best remedy for the safety of you and your family. Prevention is the best treatment to keep the air you breathe in your home free of toxic mold.

Be Sociable, Share!