Removing Mold and Mildew

We know that mold and mildew is part of our natural environment .Outside, it plays a vital role in consuming dead plants and debris matter but you do not want toxic mold in your house. This can not only cause damage to the structure of your property it can also cause various types of mold symptoms which can lead to mold allergies.  The reason mold grows and thrives is moisture. When mold enters your home it is almost always a result of some type of increased moisture. This can be form a recent flood, natural disaster, leaky pipe you are not aware of, crack in your foundation, chimney, roof or gutter system.

Mold requires water, oxygen and moisture to grow, thrive and multiply. These ingredients are common in our daily lives so you can see why mold and mildew is becoming more and more of a problem for property owners.  Prevention is the best way to keep mold and mildew out of your home. You can visit for various articles and videos on indoor air quality and to test, treat, and prevent mold and mildew.

When we talk about prevention the first step is to develop a routine checklist to visit those out of sight places like your basement, crawl space, attics, Roof or gutter systems for any evidence of moisture issues. Your kitchen, bathrooms and utility rooms are prime areas for mold growth because of the potential for increased moisture. Fix any plumbing and water problems immediately. Remember that mold loves moisture and mold can take up and establish in your property within 48 hours of any water intrusion.

If you fell you have any mold or mildew you should consider having your property tested for mold. This is something that you can do yourself by purchasing a mold testing kit for your local hardware store. Once you have collected the mold samples they will be sent to a laboratory for analysis.  Most insurance companies and mold remediators require that samples are collected by a certified mold tester or industrial hygienist. The primary reason is that the removal of remediation protocol is based on the lab reports.  The certified professional had special equipment for looking for moisture and detecting mold in hidden area. They also have various techniques for test not only your inside air but your outside air. The average cost for a complete indoor air quality evaluation is between 450 to 900 dollars.

Once you have your certified lab reports your mold tester will make recommendations on what is necessary to remove the toxic mold from your property. The mold removal contractor you choose is a crucial step for improving your indoor air quality. This is not something that the average property owner should attempt to clean up.

Mold and mildew is a naturally occurring fungi, but with awareness, prevention and persistence to keep moisture out of your property, you can make a dramatic impact on reducing your chances of having toxic mold.

Be Sociable, Share!