mold-grow

How does mold grow?

Mold is fungi that produce microscopic particles called mold spores. These mold spores are called mycotoxins which are floating around in the air everywhere both inside and outside. For many these toxins can cause problems with allergies or acute breathing difficulties. Visit moldremoval.net for a complete list of articles and videos regarding your indoor air quality.

All mold and mildew need to grow and thrive is moisture and a food source. When they have a nice warm moist spot they will begin to feed and germinate, causing even bigger health concerns to those sensitivity to mold and mildew. These spores can land anywhere  and when conditions are favorable they will start to eat on things  such as wood, wallpaper, fiber board, sheet rock, plaster, or carpets. When this goes without treatment or it is unnoticed this can cause much damage to your property and your health.

Mold symptoms vary depending on the type of mold, spore count, the location, the health status of the individual, and length of exposure. The elderly, individual with auto immune conditions, respiratory conditions, the elderly and children are at greater risk for acute mold allergies. These allergies if left untreated can be life threating. Should you see spots on your ceiling, basement, or foul smell or exhibiting cold like symptoms you should seek a professional certified mold inspector or industrial hygienist who has the certifications, training and special equipment necessary. This process will identify the types of mold present and give actions that are necessary to restore your indoor air quality to acceptable levels.

Prevention is the best treatment to keep mold and mildew from growing in your property. Being diligent in keeping your home moisture levels below 50% is the best way to prevent mold growth. Some commons areas that may have high moisture would includeBathrooms, Basements, Kitchens, Utility rooms, or attics.   Anything in your homes that creates high humidity and water vapors can also be a breeding ground for mold to form. Dryers thatare not properly vented to the outside can create high humidity and water vapors to form on your windows and walls.

One of the more common reasons for mold growth is when you have a water intrusion or major water spill and the water was not cleaned up quickly and completely within 24 hours. Once the padding is moist this creates the ideal conditions for mold to grow. One of the first signs that you may have a problem with mold is that musty smell. It is described by many is that foul smell of urine that will not go away regardless of the chemicals or techniques used.

Preventing mold and mildew from forming is our homes must be a constant awareness. Mold will not form if we take steps each and every day to insure that all of the necessary conditions for it to grow have been eliminated. By doing this is will maintain the structure of your property and your family’s health.

Be Sociable, Share!